[Neos] Server error when trying to install on Shared Host

Nick nick at jamalade.com
Fri Sep 20 22:31:02 CEST 2013

I finally got to the bottom of it and sorted it out here's a summary which may help others and save them a headache!

When trying to setup Typo3 Neos alpha5 on a shared virtual server I got the following error after the page confirming the environment was suitable.

    "Sorry this service is currently not available.

    This site is locked for carrying out important maintenance and will be back online in a moment.

    This page will reload automatically once the site becomes available again."

Then I got the following!

    "500 Internal Server Error
    An internal error occurred.

    When contacting the maintainer of this application please mention the following reference code:
    201309181754294ac779"

I checked the error log, where a Critical Flow uncaught exception was recorded.

It didn't mean much to me but after poking around and a few clean installs later It turned out to be a memory_issue.

Now I had already set the the memory_limit=256M, in a local .user.ini file, which when I checked with phpinfo was set on the WebServer, however in one
of the erros messages its reported the memory limit was hit at around 64M. Puzzling.

Fortunately with the patient help of the support guys at Clook.net They discovered that the when Flow uses thePHP CLI for for system calls it defaults
to using the web server's php.ini file which had memory_size set to 64M. So that explained the issue.

Armed with that info I then searched and came across this reported issue Bug #45178 (http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45178)

So I discovered another setting on top of Typo3:Flow.core.phpBinaryPathAndFilename (which I needed to call the correct version of php anyway)

So my Settings.yaml looks something like this now!

TYPO3:
   Flow:
     core:
       phpBinaryPathAndFilename: /usr/bin/php5
       subRequestPhpIniPathAndFilename: '/home/myaccount/php.ini'

Then all worked well, back to enjoying Neos and taking one more step to build a live website in Neos!

I am wondering if somewhere all the settings for each package/framework are documented? Perhaps I've missed this or its a work in progress?

Many thanks

Nick