[Neos] RFC: Simplify templates and reduce auto-generated HTML

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:04:25 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 6:27 AM, Bastian Waidelich <bastian at typo3.org>wrote:

> The problem is that *TYPO3.Neos:Template* is too generic.. We use it for
> menues, stylesheets, page title and what not. And we don't want to add the
> content-element attributes to those obviously.
>
> One solution is to unset the processor for those like:
>
> page = Page {
>   head {
>   stylesheets = Template {
>     # ...
>     @process.addNodeMetaData >
> }
>
> but... eeh..
>
> The only other solution I can think of is adding a new base node type for
> all nodes that should be selectable in user workspace. S.th. like
> *TYPO3.Neos:ContentElement*.
> The problem: A plugin for example should be a ContentElement but no
> Template.
> Any suggestions? Or do you think, this change is not worth the great
> impact at all?

This is actually two problems.
(1) We need the MetaData on selectable content elements, the ones that use
a template.
(2) Plugin editors need to make sure that whatever MetaData is required
ends up in their template or whatever they use to generate plugin output.

For (1) Your solution is perfect. I think we should add
*TYPO3.Neos:ContentElement*.
For (2), plugins aren't @api for 1.0, so we don't need to worry about that
yet. Besides, this sounds to me like something the plugin-creation docs
need to explain. Plugin creators need to understand that they are
responsible for including the nodeMetaData. We might provide some
TypoScript they can copy into their object, or they could extend our Fluid
Templates, or their PHP code could call some convenience method that
somehow gets the right metadata injected. Whatever the case, I don't think
plugins should block adding TYPO3.Neos:ContentElement* now.

Cheers,
Jacob Floyd