[Neos] [Team] Gerrit merges

Aske Ertmann aske at moc.net
Tue May 21 23:00:35 CEST 2013

Hello team

I've thought about improving commit flow since I've been a little annoyed with all the merge commits we have in our history. Since Gerrit version 2.5 there has been a "Rebase change" feature, which automatically rebases the change if it capable of it. This allows for easing rebasing changes to avoid merge commits before submitting. Also Gerrit has a setting for only allowing submitting fast-forward changes. Therefore I propose that we set this to enforce only allowing changes that doesn't need a merge commit by Gerrit. This makes the history a lot cleaner and easy to get an overview of. It's not more hassle in my opinion and I have great experience using this in our company Gerrit installation. We already have a procedure of merging changes with votes from previous patch sets before a trivial rebase, so no need to adjust for that scenario. Also we don't use feature branches anyway so it's not like it would become less clear because of that AFAIK.

So what do you guys think about trying that out? We could just to it for Neos packages first and then adapt it for Flow later on as we see fit.

Greetings,
Aske