[Neos] Neos on Google App Engine?

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Fri May 17 18:21:08 CEST 2013

So, Google just announced that Google App Engine will support (on a limited basis) PHP. I'm curious to see if there's any way to get Neos running in the App Engine, so, I looked through the docs. Here's what I found:

Surf will probably need a new workflow to deploy first to somewhere with the SDK and then use the SDK to push it to the App Engine.

They've got an tutorial that shows how to deploy WordPress at [1].

Based on [2], Google Cloud SQL is treated like MySQL in PHP (it might _be_ MySQL), so Doctrine should have no problems supporting it with pdo_mysql. One difference is that in place of the host, it uses unix_sockets. And when using the sockets, the database name doesn't seem to matter.

Going through their API Docs[3], it looks like we could use a Flow App (or more than one) that integrates some of these features into Flow:
* CloudStorage(For storing files - use this instead of writing to the filesystem, because that's not allowed)
* TaskQueue(like the other JobQueues, Beanstalk and Redis)
* Google Users(instead of keeping user credentials in the app, we hand off login to google)

On that note, the Cloud Storage requirement might be the biggest problem[13], because Flow needs to compile and store all of the files, and they would have to be stored on Cloud Storage... I'm not sure how that will work. The other requirement that might be problematic is the prohibition of system calls[14]. I'm not sure the CLI version of PHP is even available.

So, what do you think? Can Flow and Neos be modified to work in the App Engine? What would it take?

https://developers.google.com/appengine/articles/wordpress
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/php/cloud-sql/developers-guide
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/php/refdocs

https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/php/refdocs/files/api.cloud_storage.CloudStorageTools