[Neos] Neos on hosted web servers

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 23:06:21 CET 2013

Here's what I do on my shared host to get Neos running. It sounds like you
just ran into a forkbomb that happens when Neos (well Flow actually) isn't
using the CLI version of PHP.

1) I have ssh access to my host.
2) I install Neos anywhere that is convenient (do whatever makes sense
organizationally to you).
3) I either
3-A) point a subdomain at the Web directory
-OR-
3-B) For the main domain on my shared host, I move the original public_html
directory out of the way, and replace it with a symlink to the Web
directory.
4) Make sure that Apache or whatever process is running php is using my
personal php.ini for both FCGI requests and CLI requests:
To do this, I edit the Web/.htaccess in my new Neos installation to add
this line (which enables my personal php.ini file):
SetEnv PHPRC /home/<myusername>/.php/php.ini
5) I edit Configuration/Settings.yaml to add the most important option
(without this on my shared host, Neos forkbombs because it can't find the
CLI version of PHP, which is installed in a weird place on my host.)
TYPO3:
  FLOW:
    core:
      phpBinaryPathAndFilename: /usr/local/bin/php

(that's right: on my host /usr/bin/php is the cgi-fcgi version, and
/usr/bin/php-cli is a symlink to /usr/local/bin/php which is the cli
version. Brilliantly frustrating don't you think?)

After all of that's set up, then I can point a browser at
<domainname>/setup and run through the installer. I wish flow was a little
more intelligent about detecting forkbombs caused by the wrong kind of php,
but that's not at the top of my wish list, so I haven't been working on
fixing it.

I hope that helps!
Jacob Floyd