[Neos] Neos login copyright notice (two last sentences)

Mathias Bolt Lesniak, LiliO Design mathias at lilio.com
Mon Dec 2 11:19:18 CET 2013

Hi!

Firstly, congratulations with bringing Neos into Beta! It’s looking great! :-D

I wanted to open a discussion about the two last sentences in the copyright notice when you log into Neos. It reads:

“Removing or obstructing the appearance of this notice is not nice and for the rest prohibited by law. Reading fine print can damage your eyes.”

1) The use of “and for the rest” bad English. It should rather be: “is not nice and is prohibited by law”

2) The last sentence should be: “Reading THE fine print …”

3) On a less grammatical note, I would suggest replacing both sentences with simply: “Removing or obstructing the appearance of this notice is prohibited by law.” based on these arguments:
a) Keeping the copyright notice brief and to the point. (The entire two sentences could optionally be removed, as they are not required in GPL)
b) Avoiding humor in a serious text.
c) Humor may put some people off. It’s culture dependent and serious businesses may find it unprofessional and possibly offensive.
d) Paraphrasing the text you’re “not allowed to remove this joke by threat of legal action”. That’s tacky.

(I’ll post this as a bug report as soon as I have received some feedback to guide me - especially on point #3.)

Keep up the good work! :-)

Best wishes

Mathias Bolt Lesniak
LiliO - www.lilio.no