[Neos] UI sketches for edit/preview

Rasmus Skjoldan rasmus at typo3.org
Sat Aug 24 01:29:16 CEST 2013

Hi Thomas

> On 22.08.2013 13:01, Bastian Waidelich wrote:
>> Excuse my ignorance, but why do we need to differentiate between "edit"
>> and "preview" modes?
>> Couldn't we just reduce this to "modes"? With the "preview"-button on
>> the top right you'd always jump into fullscreen preview mode..
>> I actually think, that would reduce complexity more than avoiding
>> dropdowns.
>
> +1
>
> now actually I believe I have misinterpreted some parts of the blog post...

Not sure I follow you?

> I thought there would be "only" edit modes. I see no benefit in showing something you can't edit.

It would basically be nice to have everything editable very directly - but it's a rather daunting task to achieve that when you think it through.

> So even if you show the Page for an Iphone, or Ipad, or even as an Native Android App (who get's it Data via json, xml, ...) you should be able to see an "Frame estimate" and edit content there.

One of the reasons why I want to keep more abstract edit modes is that you also have unknown channels at the point of time of editing. That's really important to me. You don't always know where your content will end - and we need to do a good job at making that understandable to editors. We're indirectly promoting highly reusable content - not content that's only specifically tailored to certain contexts.

> Or if you want to show how Google will show your Webpage in a Search Result... this should be editable as well. No need for the editor to know that "intern" it just updates the meta description. All the editor wants is to control the text that is show in the Google Search Result.

Yes, that would be nice for search results. The smaller the distance and abstraction for normal editors the better.

> Here are some examples on how I would see this. And that would be AWESOME!!! and technically it should be "easy" as well, as we already have multiple "views" for real and wireframe...
>
> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3SkNxgaPriMRVdzRGtmZDJxdVU&usp=sharing

Thanks for sketching this out! This would be possible to do - but by the implementer or agency as we can't include all that in the core. It needs to be more flexible, I think.

> In my personal opinion all the "Preview" Button should do is just what it is doing now. Remove the "Neos Frame" temporarily to see only the desired Mode (be it, frontend, wireframe, iPhone, Google, App Data Export, ...)

What I'm proposing with the Edit mode/Preview UI is that switching (for editors) between different modes can be something you play with - that's super easy to go back and forth between. Going too far away from editing into preview mode reintroduces the rather annoying abstracted context switch that we initially wanted to get away from with WYSIWYG inline editing...

> make sense?

Both yes and no :-)

Best,
Rasmus