[TYPO3-50-general] Neos for non-devs

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Nov 19 08:41:18 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm probably starting with TYPO3 CMS (Tikiwiki is another possibility
I'm taking look at) and I'm aware that TYPO3 6.x branch is bringing
some of the Flow goodies to old branches in the form of Extbase/Fluid.

Now, many people are advising me to stay with 4.7.x considering that
6.0 is too new.

Otoh, when 6.x becomes more mature in e.g. 6.2, then the time might be
ripe for Neos as well which makes us wonder what would be the
actual life-span of 6.x.

Of course, argument is that Neos is quite different product than
4.7.x/6.x, old extensions won't work etc. although Neos is supposed to
make things easier.

As far as development goes, it seems that having the CMS based on modern
MVC framework like Flow is definite improvement for devs and/or
extension writers, but I wonder what is the plan for Neos in regard to
the end-users (aka content editors, administrators, integrators...),
iow. does it and how makes things easier or less complex?

We do not have legacy sites/code to be maintained, would like embrace
modern approach and learn a bit of Flow and not learning about
old pi_base method for writing extensions, but curious what does Neos
bring on the table in regard to using CMS by non-devs?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Perform your prescribed duty, for doing so is better than not
working. One cannot even maintain one's physical body without work.