[TYPO3-50-general] OT: DDD vs BDD

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Oct 28 11:19:45 CEST 2010

Am 28.10.2010 09:57, schrieb Bastian Waidelich:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> Hi Masi,
>
>> does DDD and BDD contradict each other? Wouldn't you try to model the core of
>> the domain much earlier in DDD?
>
> No, not at all. Behaviour-Driven Development is mainly a response to Test Driven Development [1] so
> your subject should read "TDD vs BDD".

Have you read "Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests"? If yes, can you tell me if the
write end-to-end tests (aka functional or acceptance tests) first is a sign of BDD? Basically I like
the idea.

My problem is how the approach to tackle the application from the outside (ie its observable
behaviour as a black box) fits to the approach to refine to core domain by fiddling in the "guts" of
the application. I was under the impression that the UI comes later in a DDD development process
whereas in BDD it will appear (at least as a draft) quite early.

> I would love to enforce BDD styled tests in FLOW3/Phoenix. But unfortunately the PHPUnit
> implementation [2] seems to be quite poor..

It seems that BDD stuff that was in 3.4 has been removed from 3.5. At least it disappeared from the
docs. Also the mocks are lacking the expressiveness that is present in jUnit. Generally speakingn I
have the impression that Mr. Bergmann is unfortunately running a one-man-show.

Masi