[TYPO3-50-general] License experts around? Aloha and the AGPLv3 license ...

Patrick-Emil Zörner paddyez at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 22:50:08 CEST 2010

On 5 October 2010 13:32, Steffen Kamper <info at sk-typo3.de> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> maybe you can ask the team of Aloha for a Floss exception like we have in
> v4 with ExtJS. Then you are safe with the license question.

NB.: IANAL but I have read and discussed the licenses GPL, LGPL, GFDL,
AGPL,... a lot also made a diff GPL/AGPL (which still does not make me a
layer).

The main issue with the AGPL is that is far more viral.

With the GPL you only need to stick to the viral part if you e.g.: sell
Typo3 on a CD. You will not get infected just running it on a server. That
is the main difference because with the AGPL you do.

So just providing the source does not suffice. You also need to provide the
license and stick to all the other stuff in the license. This IMHO renders
Aloha unusable in a commercial context.

I do not know about minifying JS but it might also be an issue. Though this
only needs to be discussed if the decision to accept AGPL in context with
typo3 could really be a future solution.

greetings

paddy