[TYPO3-50-general] New templating system?

Michael Sauter mail at michaelsauter.net
Mon Mar 22 17:41:40 CET 2010

On 22.03.10 16:32, Simon Browning wrote:
> Yeah, I'm not quite getting FLUID or how it fits in to site mapping
> either.  Looking at the documentation
> (http://flow3.typo3.org/documentation/manuals/fluid/index/) it seems
> that it is mostly about templating extensions. Am I wrong here?

To clarify some of the confusion regarding FLUID/TV/TypoScript:

FLUID is a template engine like Smarty. It is not something directly
related to a CMS, though it is used in TYPO3. It's main focus is to keep
programming logic out of the view files. Maybe it will be possible to
use it outside of FLOW3 / TYPO3 in the future ...

TV is an T3 extension to map something to DOM objects. This has nothing
to do with FLOW3/FLUID and is only needed for a CMS.

TypoScript is used for TYPO3 "templates", but be aware that "templates"
in TYPO3 are different then what usually is regarded as a template (an
HTML file, or a FLUID template). TypoScript controls how TYPO3 and its
extensions are configured etc. TypoScript has nothing to do with FLOW3.

AFAIK, FLUID will be the templating language in TYPO3 v5 (in the sense
of a normal template, e.g. used for the output of extensions) and
TypoScript will also be there (in the sense of a TYPO3 template, e.g.
used to control configuration etc.).

And TV, well, though I think it's easy enough to use will hopefully be
made superfluous by another default system in TYPO3 v5.

Hope I didn't mix things up myself ;)