[TYPO3-50-general] New templating system?

"Duch (aka. Grégory Duchesnes)" typo3 at ilomedia.net
Mon Mar 22 15:12:05 CET 2010

Le 22 mars 2010 à 13:38, Michael Sauter a écrit :

> On 22.03.10 11:39, "Duch (aka. Grégory Duchesnes)" wrote:
>> - this solution is "fully useful" without the firebug extension, it is just a helper
>> - we are talking about templating here, therefore not about contributors with limited rights (both on their computers and Typo3) but admin users.
>>
>> Beside this considerations, did you have a look at the video?
>>

>> duch

>>> Given that a large number of corporates do not adopt Firefox for support, liability and intranet-application-compatibility issues, I would be surprised if any solution that required or leveraged a particular browser's plugin architecture to be fully useful would become the standard :(
>>>
>>> Den
>

> I had a look at your video, nice idea!
>
> But I think this is way too complicated. This is not because of your implementation, but due to the whole concept of templating. I think we need to change that completely, and I think FLUID fits perfectly ;)
>
> First off, I don't get why you need something like TypoScript for templating. In my eyes, you get enough flexibility if you can build a) a page grid (like that proposed during UX09) and b) insert "custom elements" inside (like FCEs in TV). If you can do that, you can do everything. Of course, the configuration/backend of this could be done via TypoScript, but IMHO the admin should be able to do this without writing TypoScript.
>
> Secondly, I think XML is the wrong path as well ... very much overhead and hard to edit manually.
>

> Now, the main question for me is how to build the "custom elements" (the mapping from fields to DOM). I would suggest getting rid of the idea of "mapping" in the first place.
>
> What about the following approach:
>
> - "Custom elements" are based on models + FLUID templates.
> - If you create a new "custom element", TYPO3 generates a new content model (inherting from an abstract model) from the template you specify.
> - How does this work? The template contains special viewhelpers, which serve 3 different purposes, depending on the context they are used:
> 1)"creating the model": the template is parsed and the viewhelpers get converted into properties of the model.
> 2) "creating/editing content": the template is parsed and the viewhelper get converted into form elements
> 3) "frontend mode": the tags get converted into the model values
>
> This lets you create fully customizable elements very easy (I think the idea is really really simple ...). You only need to know how to use FLUID and which widgets (textfield, textarea, picture uploader etc.) are available.
> I haven't tried to implement this in FLOW3 yet, but I think this should be fairly easy (maybe the parsing of the template to generate the models it is a bit more complicated, but you could also do this approach without this automation). Anyway, I'm thinking about hacking together a prototype.
>
> This approach could even be used to do the page grids ...

> [...]

You are absolutely right, mapping is a complicated stuff, but IMHO, you are wrong to state that using Fluid would be a more simple approach. Fluid requires new technical knowledge where existing techniques such as TemplaVoilà only require HTML knowledge and a little Typoscript therefore it is not much simpler to newbies.

I must admit that the approach i'm presenting is more 4.x oriented, and by the way it is not really an "approach" since it is already up and running. So it is more 4.x oriented but still i wanted to share the idea of using the power of Firebug with you.

I'm one of those guy who don't like to re-invent the wheel and like to use good stuffs if they already exist ;-)

duch