[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Improved Shorthand Syntax

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Tue Oct 20 11:21:35 CEST 2009

Sebastian Kurfürst wrote:

Hi Sebastian,

> There is just one thing I am not really sure about: Should we use -> or
> | for chaining?

Mh, that would be
{post.title | f:format.crop(maxChars: 30) | f:format.nl2br()}

instead of

{post.title->f:format.crop(maxChars: 30)->f:format.nl2br()}

right?
What I prefer with the latter syntax is, that the order is clearer (crop
title and _then_ convert newlines to breaks)

> in PHP, "->" does something totally
> different (calling an method on an object)...

nl2br($text) vs text->f:format.nl2br()
It's not so different after all (though it technically it is of course).

> So, I am still undecided if | or -> is better. Some comments? :-)

Or maybe something completely different? ;)
Actually the Fluid "modifiers" seem to have a similar gain as TypoScript
2.0 processors:

10 = Text
10.value = "10"
10.value << 1.multiply(1.5)

so what about:

{post.title << f:format.crop(maxChars: 30) << f:format.nl2br()}

..I don't know

> PS: In the meantime I implemented the syntax, the patch is attached on
> the bugtracker.

Wow, that was quick. Big up!

Bastian