[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Improved Shorthand Syntax

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Mon Oct 19 18:52:39 CEST 2009

Hey Steffen,

> No need to hurry. Why not just remove the old shorthand syntax in 4.3
> and postpone the new shorthand syntax until 4.4?
Because in practice, you need such a shorthand syntax actually quite
often, when you want to call ViewHelpers inside arguments of of other
ViewHelpers, or inside XML tags. And this is actually quite common.

> I guess there will be much more feedback and valuable ideas if the
> community could first collect experiences with fluid in production
> environments (using 4.3) and then discuss the shorthand syntax for 4.4.
> It would allow you to create a shorthand syntax on a broader basis and
> lower the risk of yet unknown design flaws which hide in hurried work.
> 4.3-beta2 is proposed to be released this week, so time is getting even
> shorter.
I know. However I have been thinking about this issue quite a lot, and I
feel confident so far that Bastian and me have found the "right"
solution. It does not solve all problems, but it can be extended so that
it will do so.

In general I think the whole topic is a lot about if it "feels" right or
not - it's always a quite delicate balance between many powerful
features and ease of use.

So, I'd be happy if I could get some feedback on the syntax I described,
how it feels to you, but I'll spend quite a lot of energy into making it
work in the next days and week. I want this to happen before RC1 :-) And
I think it is a really valuable addition to the fluid syntax.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your opinion and I understand
your concerns, but without something like a shorthand syntax you'll
notice quite quickly that it just feels really strange, as if some part
was missing ;-)

Greets from Dresden,
Sebastian