[TYPO3-50-general] (Result) Last minute concept fix? Incosistent class naming for domain models ...

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri May 29 12:28:49 CEST 2009

@Robert: I like it.

> The thread was quite long and I didn't read all of it. So can somebody
> please explain to me why the models don't have a "Model" suffix, but
> every other class has one that matches the directory it lives in.
>
> I guess it's nice to tell from the last part of the class name (without
> the full name space) if it's a aontroller, a service etc. But it's
> inconsistent when it comes to the models.

Well, my argument was that the model is actually a model of the "thing
itself" (i.e. the stuff you're dealing with in the domain you're writing
the software for) and just like toy cars don't have "PoliceCarModel"
written on them but just "Police", I would much rather have it without a
suffix. I think it also points out the importance of the models.

> Does this mean I have to invent a suffix for all classes that are not
> models?

What is your criticism here? Are you opting for having *everything*
suffixed for consistency or would you rather not enforce any suffix at all?

cheers
Ingmar