[TYPO3-50-general] [TYPO3-dev] For whom do we/you develop

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Fri May 29 07:29:58 CEST 2009

Hi Peter,

at the CoreDevDays directly in front of the Developer Days, we have
been talking a lot about the content model of TYPO3 v5. After this
discussion I feel that v5 will change the way you can deal with
content in a CMS, the same way as FLOW3 changes the way you develop.

FLOW3 has not been built out of nothing, we learned from lots of other
real-world framework, looked at their benefits and their problems -
and I feel that we have created a very well-balanced framework which
gives you quick results and many possibilities.

And, actually, you can use it already right now by using Extbase and
Fluid in TYPO3 version 4.3.

The long-term goal for v5 was "Usability for developers" (besides
Usability for the users), and actually the feedback we got from people
trying out Extbase, FLOW3 and also building MVC based extensions is
that this really speeds their development up.

I agree with you that it was sometimes difficult to transport the
above ideas to the community, but finally I think on the Developer
Days we succeeded in doing so (have you been there? It was a great
event :-) )

I fear that, in case we wouldn't have FLOW3 / v5 development now,
developers will soon use a different framework than TYPO3 v4, which is
easier to learn, more consistent and gives you faster results. Thus, I
think it's essential that FLOW3 has been developed.

Just my 0,02cents, hope you see some of my points!
Greets from Dresden,
Sebastian
PS: And actually, the first FLOW3 alpha is right around the corner,
and we'll soon focus on the development of TYPO3 v5.