[TYPO3-50-general] [TYPO3-dev] For whom do we/you develop

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Fri May 29 00:57:11 CEST 2009

I just want to start a discussion about the target of all the further
development. It seems to me that is becomes more and more academically.
Discussing about sofisticated file structures.
Fighting for design patterns.

If the target is to get big companies involved with big money (is this
still available?) I would agree to go for concepts taking place in the
future. How long did it take from Star Office to reach the available
state of OpenOffice to be able to compete with MS Office but still not
accepted in companies? Take a look at your agency: what are you using
internally? Thunderbird with Lighting, Apple's derivates or MS brands?

Where do we, where does TYPO3 comes from, who is using it and who is
producing revenue? At this stage my feeling is that a lot of people can
use and make their live based on TYPO3. Ok: there are differences in the
quality. But if the customer is happy, it is his/her/their right to
decide how much he/she/they is/are willing to invest/in-waste.

With the new approach to try to develop a new framework I see an
interesting concept for major players to deal with customers able to
think in models, views, controller or (for the common user) in
processes. But if you take into account how long it even takes to design
this things on paper and define a common understanding my rough guess
would be that this percentage of business is similar to the number of
people paying the majority of the income tax in Germany. But not making
the rev of the common TYPO3 supplier.

So my intension would be a more harden TYPO3 where DBAL is not only a
paradigm for CORE devs, where indexed_search is performing lighting
fast, connectors to other Frameworks like ZF would be optimized and a
CORE focus and... please fill free to expand this wish list.

And please don't tell me that a repository makes life easier: if I ask
my wife in the morning what to put on she tells me go the wardrobe.

As long as you have no idea what you can ask for you'll get nothing ;-)
Gimme blog, news, calendar? No, I want content....
Perhaps you'll get what I'm trying to say.

Peter

--
Fiat lux! Docendo discimus.