[TYPO3-50-general] Questions about FLOW3

Nino Martincevic don at zampano.com
Tue Mar 24 19:45:16 CET 2009

Hi Timo,

 > plugin/subframework/external framework/whatsoever. To me, this is
 > re-inventing a screwdriver each and everytime ...

see below...

> I look what makes sense and not what makes me (probably) unemployed.
> It's time that developers get paid for their knowledge about
> components and not for writing the same code over and over again.
> Efficiency should be paid - not who's writing the most code in the
> least amount of time.

Perhaps my last sentence seemed ironical but indeed it is very earnest.
By only adopting and using readymade pieces of software (i.e. for
business use cases) you gain no insight in any application. You just use
tools like an hammer. But you don't know how to build a house. And also
you don't learn anything new and perhaps also don't proceed with your
knowledge.

And what's so bad about reinventions?
Almost all the advancement of mankind is based on experiments and
reinventions of wheels. Because someone some time said: is that really
right or good? Or is it good enough for that special case?

Did YOU stopped learning because you think you know something good enough?
I didn't.

The most important point many software developers, and especially
framework developers, oversee is: there are almost no identical
businesses outside, every application differs in at least some points,
if not many.

If client A sells e.g. real estates and client B also does, it does not
mean they have the same business and model. There will be an
overlapping, for sure, but they almost never will be identical.
The same goes for ORM, online shops, banking etc. etc.

But these details are what the real hard work is. This also makes the
difference between a good and a mediocre developer, analyst or architect.

We all know how online shops are working and that there will objects
like customers, products or orders.
I bet you know of apps that seemed simple and easy at first, were
developed very fast with some already proven tools or frameworks.
But if things don't follow standards anymore the pain begins.

Surely there are simple projects and applications out there. But they
are not interesting, I don't talk of them. I also don't want to reinvent
an ORM (although this is a thing that's really missing in the PHP world,
the two on the market are almost unusable), don't want to spend much
time on ACL, RBAC, i18n, MVC and all that stuff.
I know someone has done it and it works (most of the time).

Cheers!
Nino