[TYPO3-50-general] git and a Package Repository

Christopher Hlubek bruno.bolzano at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:08:28 CEST 2009

Hi Thomas,

very interesting topic, I think we talked about something like this on
the DevDays.

I think on the client side we shouldn't make a dependency to git to
publish extensions. At least I would prefer to have a PHP only
solution. I looked around and found some pure PHP Git implementations
(currently for accessing files only).

If we implement a GIT repository on the PR side and leave the client
with pushing always the complete Package (and make a commit
server-side) it should work for the beginning. I think pushing to the
PR directly seems a little bit insecure for me and would open the
possibility to use the PR as a public Git repo.

And we would get the benefit of having a nice overview of changed
files, commits etc. like in Github. But we should talk about the role
of Forge in respect to the PR. What is used for development and what
is used for packages? Is Git only the "storage engine" for package
files? Or do we want a full social code platform like github (which I
love by the way)?

Greetings,
Christopher