[TYPO3-50-general] extJS Library

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Sat Jan 31 11:35:57 CET 2009

hey,

I really believe that progressive enhancement is the way to work with
javascript. You can find a hole bunch of articles to explain it's
benefit. Here is a short presentation[1] from 2006 (dam it's old but
still works) that gives you the basics in 2 minutes.

If you really wanna get into it there is of course way more to read
about it. For example "A List Apart"[2] explains it pretty good (read
also the first article mentioned at the beginning to get the idea).

The reason I'm writing this here, is that it seems that ext isn't really
good at progressive enhancement. (It just seems to me(!!) like this. I
haven't used ext at all - just looked at the examples and at the current
TYPO3v5 or the AOPBrowser code).

To relative the above "insult" I can just repeat Aaron N.[3],[4]:
"So now, when people ask me why I think MooTools is the better choice,
I’ll still tell them that it’s not about what’s better than the next one
[...] All the frameworks achieve similar goals in different ways, but,
[...] I, personally, prefer to author my work in shallow, extensible
classes, and [...] The fact that MooTools itself is written this way has
trade offs, which is why choosing a framework is so much a matter of
personal preference."

So, as you my guess my personal preference is also MooTools. I choose it
for the same reason as Aaron N. It's about heaving the possibility to
write OOP code that looks nice to ME.

== what I want ==

So what I want with all this.
First: I want you to see the short presentation[1] and decide to create
things in HTML and anyone can take his personal javascript to replace
you enhancement javascript (so no extensive creation of dom elements in
javascript or inline javascript code)

Second: Just have a look at another presentation[5] go to Minute 37 and
follow it for about 10 minutes. Maybe you also see the same beauty in
the code as I am.

== conclusion ==

I don't want to choose the javascript framework for your TYPO3v5.
However I would like to say that please keep in mind that others might
want to port it so don't create everything with javascript only.

If you need any more info about MooTools or have any javascript related
question I would be more than happy to try to answer them as good as
possible. I just don't want to have this "javascript nightmare" (sorry
about that, but it's like that for me) as we have in TYPO3v4.

cheers

[1]: http://domscripting.com/presentations/xtech2006/
[2]: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/progressiveenhancementwithjavascript
[3]: