[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Nino Martincevic don at zampano.com
Wed Jan 28 11:20:39 CET 2009

Hi Denyer,

Denyer Ec wrote
> I'm a little confused (Isn't it obvious? :)) I think I understand that
> one would want the core "business logic" to be theoretically
> completely platform agnostic, using completely decoupled interfaces at
> every opportunity so that you could, potentially, change the
> foundation without having to rewrite the actual application parts.
> Would it be fair to say then that relying on a filesystem heirarchy is
> in some senses closely coupling the application to the framework?  If
> that were the case, would we avoid it by telling our own code where to
> find its own files, rather than relying on any conventions? (EG
> explicitly telling one class where it can find the files for another)

Our (developers) context is the software we build for someone, an
abstraction of the much more complicated real-life with all its
associations.
If our client is e.g. a car dealer who wants to inventory his cars then
we write the software for him. But his business rules won't change if we
use another file system, another framework or he uses a completetly
different approach for inventory, say paper.
Perhaps he has to adjust some of its operating methods but the sells
cars further on.

> That would seem to make things independant of the framework's filing
> convention, but would also introduce a coding overhead, no?

Yes. But is this a bad thing?
I remember many 1000 of PHP code lines doing mysql_query('SELECT * ...')
Should I talk further?

Every abstraction has its costs. But the gain is exponential when the
requirements grow or maintainence is a factor. Personally I know that
almost none project had the initial requirements unchanged.

 > Further it
> would mean that each FLOW3 project could potentially be completely
> different to the next in terms of structure. Whether or not that is a
> good or bad thing is way beyond my paygrade!

The core business (the domain) won't change (well, not that fast usually
and if yes, you have to adjust it in your code anyway).
And another's project domain model could be similar or even the same
like this, then you could use it again.
But business are rarely identical.
Which of you last projects you could just copy and paste and adjust only
a few configurations and conventions?
Not many, I suppose...

Cheers,
Nino