[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Nino Martincevic don at zampano.com
Tue Jan 27 13:49:03 CET 2009

I was in hurry before so my main argument for file and class naming got a little lost.

>@Nino: Fortunately we have more speaking class names than in ZF so I
>guess
>short filenames with unqualified class names are still descriptive
>enough,
>don't you think?

Yes, sure.

As I may guess such discussions can last forever and get religious.
I've had it for years and when asking why they always arise (again),
it became very clear: because standards and technologies change. Because some people prefer one technology and the others refer to a new, special or whatever conventions.

But perhaps you know the sentence:
"The rose doesn't shrivel about what name the Biologes gave her".

Therefore if you have an application/domain where e.g. a Grocery Shop plays the main role you would call the main class, well, GroceryShop.
And does it matter which framework you use for the UI or the application services? Or which technology in the backend or the persistance? Does GroceryShop changes to Grocery_Shop or MegaFramework_Controller_GroceryShop or FourTierLayer_DomainLayer_GroceryShop?
No, even the kind of layering, packaging, chosing the UI framework would bother your GroceryShop. Because it stays a - Grocery shop.

That's what I really wanted to say: things come and go, especially technologies in the recent years. But your domain stays the same, no matter if you use Flow3, ZF, Hibernate, PHP, Java, RoR or the Next-Big-Thing-Buzz-Framework.
I don't let ANY technology rename my Rose to BiologicalStructureFormerlyKnowonAsRose or my GroceryShop to MerchandisingModuleShopGrocery...

If your grocery shop becomes a bicycle shop, then you'd had a reason to change its name. But only then.

I can't stress it often enough when you start any problem: Think Domain! Not database, not framework and not conventions. Then they are no more or likely less discussions.

The consequences for Flow3? Well the intention of it is also inside a bounded context: to provide a framework with features like Object Manager, Persistance Manager, MVC, etc.

So call it MVCController, ObjectManager, PersistanceRepository. Call it what they are, in the context of Flow3 and its boundaries.
Most of it you did already.

Nino

PS: you may guess I'm not a friend of "conventions-frameworks"...
;-)