[TYPO3-50-general] DocTools package updated, can render PDF, supports grouping of documentation

Peter Beernink p.beernink at drecomm.nl
Tue Feb 24 22:41:52 CET 2009

Hi.

On 24-02-2009 at 12:01:20 Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The DocTools package[1] has been updated. Now it
>   * works again
>   * can render PDF (if fop is available, no syntax highlighting)
>   * can render grouped documentation
>
> The last point works like this: Calling
>    php index.php doctools render pdf -o output/ \
>      -t 'FLOW3 & Fluid' -p FLOW3, FLUID
> will produce "output/out.pdf" containing the documentation for FLOW
> *and* Fluid as two parts in a single book.
>
> Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Well I just had to try it out, and I must say, that (after installing the DocTools and DocBookXSLNS) the process works smoothly.

Some things which caught my eye in general:
  * In the render command mentioned above, you need to define the packages seperated only with a comma, so the space should be removed and off course the packages is called Fluid instead of FLUID :)
  * When rendering a single package, the images are not included.

Things when rendering multiple packages:
  * There are no authors mentioned anymore (per part?)
  * The abstract is missing
  * The table of contents confused me at first.
  * As the books are combined, I now have Chapter 11, Appendix A, and then part 2 continuing with Chapter 12.
I don't know if it is possible, but can you place all appendixes at the end of the document?

About the table of contents, perhaps the first table of contents can be modified to only display 2 levels deep and move the list of figures, tables and examples to the corresponding part.
Or only have one table of contents at the beginning of the document and remove the part specific TOCs.

These are some things which caught my eye, but I must say I like the way it now is possible to render the PDF files.
Great work.

> @Peter: tweaking the transformation should be done like before, it's
> better to merge changes into DocTools later...

Yes, I agree on that.

> Regards,
> Karsten
>
> https://svn.typo3.org/FLOW3/Packages/DocTools/trunk