[TYPO3-50-general] Some non-scientific benchmark results

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Mon Feb 2 15:29:15 CET 2009

Hi folks.

I did some completely non-scientific benchmarks, using the timing and
memory consumption output the test runner does now.

I used PHP 5.3.0beta1 with freshly compiled XDebug (from CVS) and APC
(latest from PECL). All on my MacBook Pro with Core Duo (2GHz) and 1,5G RAM.

Here is what I did before each set:
* an Apache restart
* emptied the FLOW3 cache
* called the the test runner once (to prime the cache)
* the runs include all tests, even mysql and postgresql

Below is a table showing the memory used and the time taken for
sequential runs with the given configuration.

MB  | Seconds
----+-------- pure PHP
254 | 48
224 | 37
220 | 37
----+-------- w/ APC
189 | 36
172 | 33
  (memlimit hit)
213 | 37
200 | 47
----+-------- w/ Xdebug
223 | 326 (!)
214 | 321 (!)
----+-------- w/ APC & Xdebug
  (segfault)
  (segfault)

* Xdebug is very slow right now, this will probably get better soon (I
hope!). Use only if needed.
* APC & Xdebug together currently is not usable (only runs with empty
cache...).

Regards,
Karsten