[TYPO3-50-general] ExtJs License

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Wed Oct 15 17:56:10 CEST 2008

Hi.

Here are some hints and clarifications.

Sebastian Wojtowicz wrote:
> Hey, I just read that for commercial use of ExtJs you have to pay 289 $.
  [...]
> But what if I use the Flow3 Framework to develop a commercial page,
> which then uses the ExtJS package of Flow3.
> Do I have to pay 289 $ to the ExtJs guys than ?

* Read the license terms for ExtJS to make sure you follow them. Unless
you produce an application which you distribute under a non OSS license,
ExtJS is GPLv3. No money flows.
* Do not confuse licensing of source code with the license for the
things produced with that code's result.

* FLOW3 does not have ExtJS as a prerequisite, you could still use some
other JS framework.

* FLOW3's license will be changed to LGPL, because GPL is of limited use
for a framework.
* TYPO3v5 will be released under the terms of GPLv3.

Regards,
Karsten

PS: I am not a lawyer, if in doubt contact one.