[TYPO3-50-general] a JS framework for TYPO3 5.0 and FLOW3

Sebastian Kurfuerst sebastian at typo3.org
Sun May 4 22:21:35 CEST 2008

Hey,

> My favorized framework currently is ExtJS. I have tried out a dozen other
> frameworks during the last year and I think that ExtJS helps us most with
> what we need (a rich user interface for the backend).
I think I have already advocatized for dojo, and I wanted to ask if you
considered this framework.
My main concern with ExtJS is that you usually need to extend most
widgets to adjust it to the way you want it to be, and they do not have
good internationalization support (which is great for Dojo). Another
area where dojo shines is accessibility (Keyboard Shortcuts, WAI roles
on all elements, ...).
Many extJS widgets have lots of configuration options (which is good),
which on the other hand often results in confusion. In dojo, the
functionality is grouped into more subcomponents, which makes the
classes themselves smaller.
What is good with extJS is the API browser, but it sucks that they do
not have a book from A to Z.
The API bowser for dojo is not as nice (especially you cannot use it
offline), but they have a really well-written reference book online.

What I like most in Dojo is that you are really flexible in terms of
creating widgets. You can either do it programmatically, but a snippet
of HTML like:
<input type="text" dojoType="dijit.form.ValidationTextBox" /> will give
you a really neat text box with lots of options to choose from as well.
In ExtJS, you would first need to create the HTML structure somewhere,
and then wire it with the onLoad action of the webpage - which looks
more like "the java way of GUI programming", but I think it is not half
as nice as the dojo way.

One last point is the licensing - extJS does only allow SVN read access
if you pay a support license, whereas Dojo is governed by the Dojo
Foundation, a non-profit organization as well, where many big companys
are in (IBM, ...). I know this is not a "hard point", but I just think
it sucks anyways :-)

I have worked with both of them, but I stay with dojo right now, bcause
of the reasons outlined above - so I hope dojo will be considered as well.

Greets,
Sebastian
PS: I think you all noticed that I really like dojo :-)