[TYPO3-50-general] BE-UI framework for TYPO3 5.0

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun May 4 21:26:52 CEST 2008

Robert Lemke schrieb:

> Finally the question arises how the whole backend layout should be defined
> and programmed. And my plan for this is (and I've actually tried it out
> already)
> to use TypoScript for defining / configuring the backend and then render
> the objects into JS / HTML code. A backend might then be defined like this:
>
> namespace: default = F3_GUI_...
>
> backend = Application
> backend[10] = MenuBar
> backend[10].items[1] = MenuItem
> backend[20] = Window
> backend[20].title = "Example Window"
> backend[20].items[1] = Tree
> backend[20].items[1].dataSource = ...
>
> ... you get the idea.

Funny idea, but makes sense.

What I think should be kept in mind is that the BE UI code should as the
rest of the code adhere to strict separation of logic and presentation.
The reason is that it should be possibly easy to write alternative
*remote* BEs, ie TYPO3 clients. The clients be could "handwritten" using
SOAP for communication or they could use client frameworks like AIR and
XUL. MS has probably something along the lines as well.

AIR is probably easier to work with, but the XULRunner is GPLed. The
advantage in comparison to heavy use of AJAX is client side caching and
(easier) client side processing.

But that's only icing. A meaningful client application would be one that
makes use of assistive technologies of the OS. Of course you can make
the new UI a bit more accessible, but I fear it will still be an
unwieldy monster for a person with disabilities. A special client blind
users, for users with motoric (?) problems etc would be awesome.

Masi

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner