[TYPO3-50-general] Contributing to TYPO3 v5 / FLOW3: License Agreement

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Fri May 2 23:17:39 CEST 2008

Steffen Müller schrieb:
> Hi.
>
> On 29.04.2008 23:43 Robert Lemke wrote:
>>> One more question:
>>> What about extensions/components in v.5? It sounds like extension
>>> developers also have to sign that contract.
>>
>> If extensions are part of the official distribution: yes. But as you
>> never
>> know if an extension will become part of it at a later point, it makes a
>> lot of sense to sign it in any case.
>>

> IMHO a "changing the core licence" scenario could also affect
> non-core-merging extensions.
>
> We now have the situation that an extension is a derived work of the
> core, mainly because it is not a stand-alone applications but an
> extension of core functions. That's the reason why TER extensions must
> be licenced equally to the core licence. (GPL2+later)

This can be solved. It's possible to add some special exemptions to the
GPL for certain applications. But I guess it would be possible to add
exemptions for a certain subset of the API. So an extension that would
use only the limited "super free" API could use any license.

Masi

PS: I'm not to keen on signing a contract that allows anyone else to
make directly money from my code. Why should the Association be able to
sell licence I wrote in the spirit of true open source (GPL)? Changes
from GPLv2 to v3 are not to worry, but the prospect of commercial
licences worries me unless the contract has a compensation clause for
the developers. But don't worry to much, I probably won't write code for
5.0. I'm just an interested bystander ;-)