[TYPO3-50-general] Contributing to TYPO3 v5 / FLOW3: License Agreement

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Fri May 2 16:57:39 CEST 2008

Hi.

On 29.04.2008 23:43 Robert Lemke wrote:
>> One more question:
>> What about extensions/components in v.5? It sounds like extension
>> developers also have to sign that contract.
>
> If extensions are part of the official distribution: yes. But as you never
> know if an extension will become part of it at a later point, it makes a
> lot of sense to sign it in any case.

IMHO a "changing the core licence" scenario could also affect
non-core-merging extensions.

We now have the situation that an extension is a derived work of the
core, mainly because it is not a stand-alone applications but an
extension of core functions. That's the reason why TER extensions must
be licenced equally to the core licence. (GPL2+later)

Imagine the following (fictional) scenario: We have TYPO3 v.5 (FLOW3,
...) core with GPL2 and all (derived) extensions in TER are also GPL2.
Then core changes to MPL (Mozilla public licence) - what about the GPL2
extensions TER? Since they are not covered by CLA, we will have
incompatibilities regarding the licences.

--
cheers,
Steffen