[TYPO3-50-general] FLOW3 question: "all or nothing" or "resine picking"

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Mar 10 10:18:56 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

Am 08.03.2008 um 17:24 schrieb Martin Kutschker:

> I have to admit that I probably could have figured out by playing the
> code itself, but here's my question: Do I have to use all of the
> code in
> the SVN or may I use only parts of it? Say, I want only the (to be
> written) template classes *, will I have to "install" all the CR
> classes
> as well, etc.

No, you only need the "FLOW3" package and, for the time being, the
"PHP6"
package which contains a few backports of PHP6 functions.

If you want to run the FLOW3 unit tests, you also need the "Testing"
package
which contains the test runner, the "PHPUnit" package and the
"TestPackage"
package which contains fixtures for the FLOW3 tests.

However, you won't be able to use for example only the cache or AOP
functionality
without the FLOW3 component manager. In that regard FLOW3 differs from
Zend
Framework. However this approach has the advantage that you don't have
start in the open countryside every time you want to create an
application -
all you need is already there and a kickstarter will create a basic
package
within a few seconds.

Please note that the package manager can't check dependencies between
packages yet.

> PS: The FAQ is missing the question "Is FLOW3 an acronym? Or what is
> the
> meaning of the name?"

I added that question ... and an answer.

> Maybe a "Why GPL and not LGPL or another more
> permissive licence?". Possible answer "We want to inspire to share.
> The
> LGPL doesn't do this. See also the Free Software Foundations stance on
> this subject: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html"

In fact I'm only 98% sure about using GPL. The point is that it possibly
keeps us from using our own code (from TYPO3 v4) because that code is
licensed under GPL any version and FLOW3 is currently licensed under
GPL v2.
Even worse, we can't use certain third party libraries because they are
licensed under a more permissive license.

So, the last 2% still need to be discussed.

robert

robert
--
http://typo3.org/gimmefive