[TYPO3-50-general] Wild ideas, long before their time: GUI and dev tools

Mathias Bolt Lesniak, liliO Design mathias at lilio.com
Sun Jun 22 15:28:56 CEST 2008

Hi!

Thanks for your swift answer!

On 22. Jun 2008, at 14:16, Robert Lemke wrote:

> Am 22.06.2008 um 12:54 schrieb Mathias Bolt Lesniak, liliO Design:
>> Solution:
>> Why not let Typo3 v5 have an interface builder?
>
> Believe it or not - that's what we have in mind for TYPO3 v5 already.
> I started experimenting some months ago with ways of creating a
> configurable
> GUI based on FLOW3 (that's what I created the Widget package for).
>
> The current plan is to base the whole arrangement and combination of
> widgets on a simple configuration (TypoScript to be honest). And of
> course
> this configuration can be created, read and modified by a potential
> interface
> builder, why not.

One word: Wow! :-D

TypoScript is great for configuring where you don't have a
configuration interface, but it requires parsing and creating objects
based on the settings.

The Mac OS X Interface Builder goes one step further: When you create
a window and interface elements Interface Builder uses the same
classes and objects that will be used in the live application. The
object data is then serialized and saved in a .nib file. When the
compiled application runs, it reads the serialized objects, applies
runtime configurations and draws the working window. This approach is
good because the initialization can be optimized.

PHP already supports serialization, and googled this function for
JavaScript serializing:
http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/javascript_equivalent_for_phps_serialize/

Conclusion: In my opinion TypoScript is good, but introducing
serialized objects in PHP and JavaScript as a parallel option could
increase the speed without need for caching.

>> In the Mac OS X Interface Builder you can create a working database
>> application with NO lines of code! That means programming is fast,
>> and
>> you have more time to focus on features and usability.
>
> Yes, that's the way to go.
>
> Currently we are busy with the persistence mechanisms but as soon as
> that is done I'll get back to the GUI / widget topic. Would you like
> to help me with that when I return to that?

Yes, I'd be delighted to help. :-)

>> 2) WHY NOT A DESKTOP?
>> I noticed that when I imagined what I described above, I was
>> imagining
>> some kind of windowed operating system. And why not?
>
> I think we should move more into the direction of a desktop but
> still must
> be careful to not try creating an full fledged OS within the
> browser. While
> TYPO3 must become easier (and more fluent) to use, we should - in my
> opinion -
> make sure that it can't be mixed up with a regular desktop
> application because
> it just isn't and it can't fulfill the expectations you have on a
> real desktop
> app.

I agree, though being able to read e-mail in Typo3 could be a nice
feature. Implementing a JavaScript version of Eclipse (or Photoshop!)
would be quite a waste. ;-)

> So, we'll see how it will feel like playing around with the new
> widget concept
> and then we decide how much of a desktop we want in TYPO3 v5.

I'm looking forward to follow the progress. Please let me know if any
information about the widget concept should become available!

Best wishes

Mathias Bolt Lesniak
LiliO Design - www.lilio.com
mathias at lilio.com