[TYPO3-50-general] Old names in FLOW3 code

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Feb 29 15:06:03 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

Am 29.02.2008 um 13:54 schrieb Martin Kutschker:

> Sidenote: Shouldn't be the T3_ prefix be dropped as well? If FLOW3
> is to be
> an all purpose framework TYPO3 related "namespaces" have no place. I
> can
> image that this will alienate non-TYPO3 developers. At least they'd
> fear
> that they get tons of only TYPO3-related stuff when they use FLOW3.
> Or even
> worse they might feel that their apps could break because the TYPO3
> 5.x
> devs changed FLOW3 to accomodate for some change in TYPO3. I trust
> you that
> all that won't happen (after the FLOW3 1.0 final is shipped), but some
> others may not.

I partly agree. But the problem is that we do need a top level
namespace - just
using the package name is not possible. And if everybody could choose
their own
top-level namespace, that would severily harm performance (eg. of

I could imagine changing the prefix to "F3" (I think I already
mentioned it in some
other post).

Also a sidenote: It actually is possible to register classes with any
name as a component -
for FLOW3 something like "ez_Mail" or whatever is completely valid.
You just don't get
the automatic registration by the package manager.

And about stand-alone applications: Of course that will come. But it
doesn't neccessarily
have to be me or the 5.0 team who creates such an application.

Cheers,
robert