[TYPO3-50-general] Locale representation in folder Meta/Documentation/Manual

David Bruehlmeier typo3 at bruehlmeier.com
Tue Apr 15 09:29:33 CEST 2008

Hi,

the Reference requires a new folder for each locale in
the Meta/Documentation/Manual folder:

http://flow3.typo3.org/documentation/reference/packages/

The example given is Manual/en_EN/.

I'm not sure where _EN comes from, so I did a little research.

There does not seem to be a standard "everybody" agrees on, but the
greatest common denominator seems to be:

   Locale = [LanguageCode] ["_" TerritoryCode] ["_" Variant];
   LanguageCode = (* ISO 639-2 Two Letter Code [1] *);
   TerritoryCode = (* ISO ISO 3166-1-alpha-2 Two Letter Code [2] *);
   Variant = (* POSIX, WIN, etc. Not strictly standardized *);

Valid examples would be:
"en", "de_DE", "_GB", "en_US_WIN", "de__POSIX", "fr__MAC"

The delimiter "_" seems to be what's commonly used, even though RFC 3066
[3] requires the use of "-".

I did not find a standard which would allow "en_EN" as locale. The
second part of the locale always represents a "Territory" and there is
no "EN" in ISO 3166.

In the standard Java library, the Class java.util.Locale defines a
toString() method which pretty much produces what I have described above.

I propose to use the following definition for FLOW3, leaving out the
"Variant" part and strictly requiring the LanguageCode:

   Locale = LanguageCode ["_" TerritoryCode] ["_" Variant];
   LanguageCode = (* ISO 639-2 Two Letter Code [1] *);
   TerritoryCode = (* ISO ISO 3166-1-alpha-2 Two Letter Code [2] *);

This would allow codes like: "en", "en_GB", "de_DE"

I suggest that the "standard" folder for english documentation is "en",
without TerritoryCode (IMO it doesn't matter if the documentation is in
British or American English, as long as it's there and it's English).

What do you think?

Greetings,
Dave

[1] http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php