[TYPO3-50-general] New GUI for the TYPO3 5.x branch

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [DD] jh at digitaldistrict.de
Tue May 29 15:33:50 CEST 2007

Hey Joey...

I am doing flex work as well, it's a surprise that it's on that page. I
would not expect it a plain flex builder thing, but rather cairngorm based
or something. But I see a problem here:

- Flex using webservices is a very save way, and working anywhere with just
a php base. That works out of the box. Lot's of things need to be considered
within the flex application to manage different views for different users,
so I would not expect it less complicate than a good php/html based
framework. But: Not interesting, as the real strength in my eyes is missing,
see below.

- Flex data services including it's data management features and messaging
services. This is live communication between frontend and backend. This is a
very cool feature. Problem 1: It's free if it's running with max 1 CPU and
max 1 Application on the server. The commercial license is not affordable
for 99.9% of the clients. 2: It's java based, much more difficult to
install. But it has some features like server side rendering of that
application and such. It would always be double work to include
edit-features via FDS while typo3 is php based.
(But... If editor1 changes headline, editor2 would see it straight away
etc... cool!)

- It would be too much work to develop a webservice based version beside an
FDS based version.

So, what do we learn from it? Use Java für 5.0 ;)

Beside that: This is my main concern when asking for generic webservice
support in 5.0 :-) I'd partly go for FDS/Flex in a parallel track!

Jan-Hendrik

news:mailman.1.1180437550.26330.typo3-project-5_0-general at lists.netfielders.de...