[TYPO3-50-general] OrthoScript

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri May 18 12:29:07 CEST 2007

Hi Martin,

Am 18.05.2007 um 10:57 schrieb Martin Kutschker:

> The point is that after working (and contributing) so long with the
> current code I feel attached to it. It isn't my baby, it's
> Kasper's, but
> it's a foster child. So my feelings are mixed with any new stuff.
>
> As a coder it's nice to see new ideas and clean up code, and I
> probably
> envy you for having the resources to do whatever you want when
> creating
> a big new system.
>
> As a professional T3 developer I recognize that I have either to
> fork T3
> 4.x to make use of my old knowledge or to evaluate other CMSs. The
> more
> things are different, he harder the migration, the less motivation to
> move on to a new and unproven CMS.
>
> I don't want to put you down, but your making it hard for an old timer
> to get into the spirit. I tried to get involved with a small part
> of of
> TS 5.0. but with the little time I can spend on it, you have been
> faster
> than I can ever be: you started implementing before you even posted
> here. This means to me you're kindly listening, but don't want full
> blown (possibly lengthy) discussions.

I take your feelings about that seriously, because it is important
that you and the many other TYPO3 developers identify themselves with
the new approach. In the end I think that a modified TypoScript
syntax like I have it in mind is not that a big change even for TYPO3
veterans. After the discussions I had with long-term users of
TypoScript I am very optimistic that we'll find a good compromise
between preserving the value of current knowledge, generating
consistency and an provide easy entry for those who are new to TYPO3.

The fact that I already developed parts of the TypoScript
implementation has a simple reason: I tend to make rough sketches of
what I need and then try to create a prototype as early as possible.
For me it is the best way to discover if the theory feels good in
practice, too.

For example after you and Elmar brought up the topic of how to store
TS objects internally, I feel like trying out your solution or a
mixture of some, just to find out if it is the better solution in the
end. And currently I could imagine that even that mixture of array
and objects might make sense.

So, please don't feel taken by surprise when I publish code already.
You're right that I try to avoid lengthy discussions. However, I am
interested in compact, to-the-point discussions.

I suggest that I stop coding for now and create a document which
describes the TypoScript syntax like I have in mind. Then we can
discuss my and your suggestions in detail and agree on a compromise
if neccessary.

What do you think?

robert
--