[TYPO3-50-general] TypoScript 2.0 framework

Fri May 11 20:20:50 CEST 2007

>> this ts could also be written in xml-notation like this
>>
>>> <page doctype="xhtml_strict">
>>> 	<children>
>>> 		<COA index="10" >
>>> 		</COA>
>>> 	</children>
>>> </page>
>
> I hope you really mean *could* be written in the sense of "both
> notations are valid". IMHO TS should stay within the TYPO3 BE the simple
> declarative language with its friendly dot-notation wich can be edited
> by any editor without too much typing overhead.
>
> Masi

Right. Take the perl archive CPAN as example. As far as I can observe they
have recently introduced a "short typing" configuration language (JSON).
They didn't choose XML.

IMHO XML was a kind of hype some year ago, but the shorter notations (YAML,
JSON, TS) have several advantages:

 * better readble for humans
 * writable without special editors (still a really good opensource editor
   for XML is missing)
 * less data traffic on the net.

So please hold on to TS and improve it. If there is one part in the TS
project, that gives it an individual spirit, that is TS. But it urgently
needs a semantics checker to get more accepted by newbies, to lower the
learning curve.

I really would like to move the language files back from XML to TS. If they
are stored in UTF-8 they can be converted to every other language code.

Regards

Elmar