[TYPO3-50-general] TYPO3 5.0 license

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Mon Feb 12 22:33:33 CET 2007

Elmar Hinz schrieb:
> Am Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:51:01 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hempel:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I'm not sure if this discussion was already a topic in this list. Anyway, I didn't found anything
>> about this issue.
>> I spoke with a collegue of mine and we came to the question which license TYPO3 5.0 will have and
>> who will be the license holder.
>>
>> I mean wouldn't it make sense to overwrite the copyright of TYPO3 5.0 to the Association? That would
>> have some essential advantages:
>>
>> 1. There is only one copyright holder (The Association) and not a few people for each file.
>>
>> 2. The Association has all rights on the code and can sell a special licensed version if needed. In
>> some projects it might be impossible to use a GPL software. So the Association can sell a commercial
>> TYPO3 of an particular version.
>>
>> Please don't understand this as an attack against GPL version! But maybe it's woth it to think about
>> this!?
>>

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I feel that selling commercial licences would bring more trouble than
> gain. "Work without payment for us but give as the right the keep the
> money." Volunteers would immediately disappear but the association could
> work on with paid developers.
>
> In germany the developer can't give his copyright away.
>
> IMHO the alternative would be a LGPL or BSD style license.
>
> Regards
>
> Elmar

maybe an "GPL FAQ" on the .org site would help to clearify such questions.

- you can .... do everything you want even include custom non gpl code
for a customer ... but you cant distribute it further

- you can use external non gpl tools with typo3 if the they are seperate
products and dont rely on typo3

- if you write a bridge to an external tool as an extension you only
have to gpl the bridge wich is based on typo3

- you cannot upload non gpl code to the ter so you have to distribute
custom external tools seperately

- im not shure but i also do think that you can sell exclusive rights
for a custom gpl extension to a customer wich means that he is the only
one with the right to publish it (but if he will he has to use the gpl).
maybe someone can tell me if that opinion is correct

so i dont see a use case wich cant be handeled with the options above
except taking the whole system rename it MS-Typo6 and sell it ;-) .

regards Martin

what would be worth to think about is an option for extensions to fetch
custom code during the installation process. such a mechanism could be
usefull für other external libarys (adodb, prototype, scriptacolous,
awstat) too. it could help keeping the ter clean and the extensions up
to date.