[TYPO3-50-general] TYPO3 5.0 license

Mon Feb 12 17:55:05 CET 2007

Am Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:51:01 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hempel:

> Hello folks,
>
> I'm not sure if this discussion was already a topic in this list. Anyway, I didn't found anything
> about this issue.
> I spoke with a collegue of mine and we came to the question which license TYPO3 5.0 will have and
> who will be the license holder.
>
> I mean wouldn't it make sense to overwrite the copyright of TYPO3 5.0 to the Association? That would
> have some essential advantages:
>
> 1. There is only one copyright holder (The Association) and not a few people for each file.
>
> 2. The Association has all rights on the code and can sell a special licensed version if needed. In
> some projects it might be impossible to use a GPL software. So the Association can sell a commercial
> TYPO3 of an particular version.
>
> Please don't understand this as an attack against GPL version! But maybe it's woth it to think about
> this!?

Hi Thomas,

I feel that selling commercial licences would bring more trouble than
gain. "Work without payment for us but give as the right the keep the
money." Volunteers would immediately disappear but the association could
work on with paid developers.

In germany the developer can't give his copyright away.

IMHO the alternative would be a LGPL or BSD style license.

Regards

Elmar