[TYPO3-50-general] Re: [TYPO3-5.0] GUIDS? Pros and Cons

Andreas Wolf ng at nospam.andreaswolf.info
Wed Oct 4 18:55:01 CEST 2006

Hi Elmar et al.,

just recently I wrote down some thoughts I had about things I'm missing
in TYPO3 and I would like to see in one of the next versions - and GUIDs
were among them. My thought was not to replace the uids T3 uses by now,
but to add a globally unique identifier to all tables.

The main advantage this would have is that merging of two or more
installations is really easy. When exporting data, the relation between
records could be expressed with the GUIDs, which in turn are converted
back to the local uids when importing. This is already possible today,
but it's not possible to sync elements later on that have been imported
that way.

I would opt against replacing the internal uids - some CMS use a sort of
GUIDs for linking etc (look at www.rlp.de for example, this is ICcontent
by ICT, www.ict.ag) and it's really a pain to remember these urls or to
just type them when you have them only e.g. printed.

Regards,

Andreas