[TYPO3-50-general] Thoughts on UML tools for TYPO3 V5

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Thu Nov 2 08:38:02 CET 2006

Hi Dan,

sorry for the delay ...

Dan Frost wrote:

> I've spent a little time thinking about UML tools for the development of
> TYPO3 v5.
>
> What do you think?

A code generator as you propose it can be very useful for creating
certain kinds of components. It would be something like the kickstarter
on steroids and could enable people to create clean code respecting the
architecture and allow them to create flexible applications at the same
time.

As for the TYPO3 5.0 base components, which we develop at the moment, I
don't think that code generation can help us - we'd actually need many
of the components we're creating as a basis for the code generator.
However, what we do need already is a good tool to parse the PHP5 code
and create nice UML diagrams from it.

So, I'm all in favour of following your idea, it will make TYPO3
component development much faster and easier.

If I look at the roadmap [1], it would make sense creating the final
version of your tool after the third milestone because we need to know
how the frontend libraries will look like.

Great ideas!

robert

[1] http://typo3.org/teams/5.0-development/roadmap/