[TYPO3-50-general] File name conventions for classes and interfaces

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Fri Dec 1 14:52:17 CET 2006

Hi Robert.

Robert Lemke wrote:
>   a) Why is an exception so special that it deserves its own name?
>      In my eyes, it's just a class so I wouldn't make an exception
>      here.

Hm. I am unsure here. Although you technically instanciate an exception,
you usually don't "use" it, but just "throw" it. If we remove the
prefix/suffix we should make sure the class name contains Exception
(which should be a general rule in the CGL anyway and would be only
natural to most people, I guess).

> I therefore propose switching to the folloing pattern:
>
>    T3C_PackageName_ComponentClassName.class.php
>    T3C_PackageName_ComponentInterfaceName.interface.php

If there only were real refactoring tools for PHP... :) I agree, though.
I fought for the existing way first, but now I changed my mind.

> And furthermore, extend the naming convention for classes: If a class
> implements one interface, it should be named after it:
>
>    T3C_Hola_HelloWorld.interface.php
>    T3C_Hola_HelloWorldImplementation.interface.php

What about classes implementing two, three, ... interfaces?

Regards,
Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns