[Typo3-windows] Install

Joel Finkel finkel at sdi.com
Sun Jun 15 06:53:23 CEST 2003

|  > - Or can I use typo3 on my WinXP System and after use typo3 I make an
|  > upload of thec code to the server?
|
|  Short answer: No!
|  In theory this may be possible, but the EULA of WinXP prohibits you from
|  using XP as a webserver. Cool, isn't it?! :-)
|
|  That's why I like windows so much... :-))))

This is not entirely correct.  Windows XP Home cannot be used as a web
server.  Windows XP Professional can be.  That is, Home has no IIS, while
Pro comes with IIS.

I have not read the EULA, but I am pretty sure it would be illegal for
Microsoft to prevent anyone from running, say, Apache on top of any of the
Windows operating systems, especially if it was being used for internal
software development!  This would be a violation of anti-trust laws.  This
would be the same as Volvo trying to preventing anyone from carrying Toyota
promotional literature in one of their vehicles.

Joel Finkel