[TYPO3-UG US] request vs sell

Sean Fulton sean at gcnpublishing.com
Fri Feb 11 16:34:28 CET 2011

I find that folks who are specifying an open source OS almost always
want Joomla or Drupal because that is what they have heard of. I've
never had anyone contact us looking for us to deploy Typo3. It's more
the case that they have a set of problems and want a solution, and we
recommend a solution built on Typo3 because it is the best tool for the
particular job at hand.

But it has been a real source of frustration that a number of potential
customers who have never heard of Typo3 eventually go with
less-qualified developers on a less-qualified platform simply because
they hear more about it.

I should note that we only work for publishing companies and one of the
big publications in our industry bangs the Drupal and Joomla drum
loudly. They had a bad experience with Typo3 (bad developers, frankly),
and have no qualms about leaving it out of every story they do on open
source CMS. In fact, when they do mention it, they spell it Typ03 (and
yes, we have written to complain).

So in the general population your experiences may be different. But for
us, I'd say there is a real need for some sort of US-based Typo3
presence to promote the strengths and stability the platform offers, the
number of US-based development firms there are out there, etc. A lot of
people just haven't heard of it.

sean