[TYPO3-UG US] Typo3: .ca & .us consortium ideas

Michael Cannon michael-typo3 at cannonbose.com
Fri Sep 29 06:50:11 CEST 2006

[from offline email with some edits]

Virgil,

I've been sad to see all the spinning wheels over TYPO3.us. I hope to
recoup some of work and get some excitement coming around again for
TYPO3 consumers and suppliers in the North America.

How would you pin down the top 3 goals for North America TYPO3?

For TYPO3 North America, people of all types are needed. From expert
implementer to beginning end user. Each offers us something that
needs to happen. I see North America TYPO3 benefitting only those
suppliers that put effort into it, in return they'll be provided with
leads and training opportunities. Consumers will benefit from being
provided solid information about TYPO3 in regards to case studies,
capabilities, communicative suppliers, and healthy competition
leading to higher quality work and better trained suppliers.

My current major thoughts at this point follows from a conversation
with other TYPO3 persons.

-----
At this stage of the game, I'm against the diversification till our
market is large enough and calls out for the diversification. I'd
rather see a north american TYPO3 site in English, French, and
Spanish than run three separate websites. Even if on the same backend.

I really feel that we've got to get customers together with us
suppliers. If we as suppliers don't start sharing our knowledge with
each other, we're going to lose overall market share to some other
tool that sneaks in behind us.

After chatting with client that does quite well with taking but an
interest among people and turning it into something marketable is
suggesting that we create the community of suppliers and users and
give each what they need in a familiar format. This client is
experienced with print, web, and conferences. In fact, they offered
to let us have a room for training one day during a Wash DC, New
York, Chicago, or San Francisco business process and service oriented
architecture conference.

In the end, I need a couple of things to happen. One, be conferred to
be president or not of North American TYPO3. Two, figure out which
set of TYPO3 suppliers and consumers I'm going to be missing or
alienating once I pick the direction we're going.

I find myself learning towards a TYPO3 site named typo3insittute.org
where users can get connected to suppliers and suppliers are
connected to resources and training online and in person. T3I can
take all of the content proposed for TYPO3.us, TYPO3.ca, and TYPO3-
USA.com and repurpose to the benefit of those able and willing to
support the community.

Access from consumes is free, but requires registration. Teaser
information is free.
Supplier access is restricted to those who pay or volunteer or
provide some exclusive service.

In a day or so, I'd like to share this conversation with others on
the list.
----

Thoughts?

Michael

-----
Michael Cannon
President of Cannonbose, LLC
Tel    : +1 (603) 294-4418         Fax : +1 (802) 609-2776