[TYPO3-UG US] Solution for mailinglist archive

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Mar 25 00:42:29 CET 2006

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion. We did check out vBulletin, and it does have
a nicer forum interface. The reason we decided to try Jive was because
it has a forum, but what we needed was more than just a forum. We wanted
to replace all of the functionality that has been missing since the
mailinglist archive on the typo3.org site has been down. In other words,
not to just create a *forum*, but to provide another interface to all of
the knowledge that already exists, for people who don't prefer to use
newsgroups.

Since TYPO3's had mailing lists for a long time, there's a lot of
knowledge and experience that's already out there that can be used
directly, so an import from a newsgroup was an essential feature. Since
a lot of the developers (and a lot of other people who have been in the
community a long time) already have the newsgroup/mailinglists set up
and use it on a daily basis, those aren't going to go away and an export
from the forum to the appropriate newsgroup would be needed. In addition
to having just a threaded interface of a forum, Jive also allows users
to suggest a post or thread as a knowledge base article, and a moderator
can then assign it to a category in the KB. With the integrated search,
a visitor can search both the forum and KB at the same time or individually.

On the user's side, moderators can be assigned to the forums and/or kb
at the same time, and can sign up to be "experts" on topics. If a thread
goes unanswered for a given period of time the "experts" get notified
and will know their expertise may be needed. Although a Jive user would
still need to sign up on the T3 mailing lists in order for their posts
to get sent to the newsgroups, if they didn't sign up, their posts would
still go into the forum. If they were signed up on a given mailing list,
any forum posts would automatically get posted to the mailing list.
Plus, when a user logs in, they'll have a list of their answered and
unanswered posts.

Although vBulletin does have a newsgroup hack, it was last updated over
a year ago, and that's a little too long to run on a production server
from a security standpoint. Jive has an integrated NNTP server, so its
newsgroup import/export feature is built in and supported with each
version of the forum and KB.

One of the other concerns was that the performance of the mailing list
archive on typo3.org was a bit slow and sometimes was down, but Jive is
used on a lot of huge communities by big companies that need 24/7
availability. So it looked like Jive would be able to handle our traffic
easily.

Cheers!
Alex