[TYPO3-UG US] IT Manager's Journal | Dana Farber turns toTYPO3 and Enomaly for cancer-research site

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sun Mar 12 20:06:42 CET 2006

Floyd Arguello wrote:

>Most people aren't interested in the truth... they're interested in
>results. I never sell TYPO3, because your average customer has no clue
>what it is... they only care what it can do for them.

*I* am interested in the truth. *I* am not interested in being in a
community that insults people for speaking the truth, and who defends
those who insult those who speak the truth only for speaking the truth.
No one has refuted my comments as being anything other than the truth,
and when I clarified my intentions, nobody refuted them. Just like a
house built on sand will fall, so will anything built on untruths -- a
community, software, a business -- and I am only interested in being a
part of a community that values truth rather than condemnation of the
truthful. One of the things TYPO3 was founded on was honesty: "Seeking
to be honest and truthful in all matters." If this bothers anyone, I
would say they are in the wrong community, using the wrong software.
Being truthful has value even if we are the only ones who see it, but
allowing the truth to be suppressed when we know better will ultimately
damage our community when the truth finally comes out. As it always does.

>Alex, your comments appeared self righteous to me; I feel like you could
>have been more tactful. Regardless of your motives, you make it appear
>as if the US TYPO3 community is fragmented, and several things you
>reinforce that:

If I appear self-righteous, it's only because I have been defending
myself against personal insults as a result of making statements of
facts. Facts which nobody has yet refuted. I am right, but unlike
everyone here, I am not allowed to express myself? Everyone else is
allowed to have their "opinions" but I am not allowed to speak
unopinionated facts?

Nobody should ever have to justify their reasons for speaking the truth,
but I will:

>1. Referring to Enomaly as "The Canadian company"

They are. I felt it was important because they were referred to as the "
official US sponsor", one of the possible implications being they are a
US company. I said it as a point of clarification.

>2. Your comment about the TYPO3 book not being official - the article
>never said who they contracted with to write the book; only that they
>were contracted.

I didn't say or imply who they were contracted with, only that it wasn't
in an official TYPO3 capacity. The article was ambiguous and I only
meant to clear up the ambiguity on at least one front.

>3. Stating that the article "misrepresented" a company, and referring to
>certain aspects of the article as "misinformation." Both are strong
>words, and imply that the author deliberately mislead readers.

Both implication-neutral words in the sense that I could have chosen
much stronger words such as "lied" or "deceived" had I wished to imply
that the author deliberately misled readers. The article represented the
company as performing all the work, which is incorrect. Hence, a
misrepresentation. The information in the article is incorrect. Hence,
misinformation.

>4. Appending "USA" to your signature - further fragments a global community.

The article fragments the community by highlighting the TYPO3 US
efforts. Last I saw on publicly-published numbers, roughly half the
TYPO3 community exists outside the USA. Now being proud of where you're
from, like honesty, is a bad thing, too?

>What's done is done, and can't be undone - but it would have been far
>more effective for you to contact Enomaly and ask them to clarify the
>article.

It's a publicly-available article, with a feature to make user comments.
Enomaly could have clarified it on their own at any time. In the last 10
days they haven't said anything about the article except insults
directed at me for making truthful statements. In fact, you and Dimitry
didn't feel strongly enough to respond to the article in the last 10
days until I began defending myself against being insulted for making
truthful statements.

Now, I wonder, what is fragmenting the community, eh?

I'm done defending myself against insults and trolling. Let's stop
wasting everyone's time and get back to work.

Alex