[TYPO3-UG US] TYPO3 Book review

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Mon Oct 24 18:55:27 CEST 2005

I've just send a review of the Official TYPO3 Book in English to
amazon.com it should appear tomorrow on their site.

Maye it could be used somewhere in the "Learning TYPO3" section of the
US website.

Special thanks to Michelle for having proofreading it.

Patrick

A great resource and time saver.

Finally, an English book for this powerful CMS. For anyone struggling
with the complexity of this system (even if there are more than 5000
pages of free documentation on the website), this book solves the
continuity problem. It goes from installation to editors' duties, up to
administration and extension development.

What I really appreciate in this book is the logical path it uses to
give you the "big picture" of this complex, yet effective system. At the
same time, it's also a problem with this book. They want to appeal to
everybody (editors' section, development section) and in 575 pages,
there's not enough pages to see it all. Sometimes while reading I was
thinking "hey they should have talk about this and that"but at the same
time realized that a 2000 pages book would had been too costly... Maybe
a full 500 pages book on TYPO3 development would do the trick in the future.

Talking about price, you should be aware that part of the profit goes
back to the TYPO3 Association and will help the core development of
TYPO3.

What is really great about this book is the Typoscript chapter. It
really helps anyone having to do templating and navigation for their
TYPO3 websites. I should also mention the Admin chapter as a time saver.
You will get tips and tricks on how to setup Back-End Users, Groups and
others configurations. It should be noted that it was revised for
version 3.8 (May 2005) and so is very up-to-date.

There are about 150 pages devoted to extension development but as I
stated, a full book would be welcome just to cover this subject.

Overall I highly recommend this book. When you finish it, you should
have learned a great deal about this powerful CMS and feel comfortable
enough to dig even more!