[TYPO3-UG US] First Touch

Gabriel Anast gabriel at anast.org
Thu Oct 20 16:55:57 CEST 2005

Michelle Heizer wrote:

>Apple... could not anticipate the demand for their product.

And yet they _did_ anticipate it in their overall branding scheme and
the power of the ipod brand is _harnessed_ by the Apple corporate brand,
the ipod brand did not leave the Apple brand in the dust which it could
have had they handled the brand differently.

The following is a question I posted to marketingprofs.com and is all
quoted from here:
http://www.marketingprofs.com/ea/qst_question.asp?qstID=10504

> [...]

> If you want people to not have to think too hard, use what they are
> used to.
>

> Posted by: jamie     Member Response
> 10/19/2005 8:47 PM (EST)
> us may mean government to some. Agree the above.
>
> The general wisdom on brand names and domain names is to create a
> seamless brand experience, which is a preachy way to say you have
> continuity in the brand identity across all platforms.
>
> Not sure what you mean by moving from a small defining market to a
> large redefining market.
>
> It is good you desire focus, but isn't open source software by
> definition decentralized?
>

> Posted by: ganast     Author Response
> 10/19/2005 9:35 PM (EST)
> "It is good you desire focus, but isn't open source software by
> definition decentralized?"
>
> Yes, but the marketing cannot be decentralized. The idea in Open
> Source is to develop a strong core of programmers and a strong user
> base that can support the programmers and give feed-back. Some of the
> most successful OSS projects have highly directed marketing and
> branding just like other corporate entities.
>
> "Not sure what you mean by moving from a small defining market to a
> large redefining market."
>
> Half of all web users on Earth are in the US. More than half of the
> websites made are specifically for US users. As this project directs
> its focus to the US, it will get swamped with US users and developers
> (I think...?) how best to direct those users & developers to
> strengthen the project and not to divide it or create a US vs. EU
> mentality.
>
> --gabe
>
> Posted by: Doug Hudiburg     Member Response
> 10/20/2005 12:25 AM (EST)
> I strongly suggest staying with the .comdomain. You can't segment a
> market with a domain name, you have to localize your *message*. Don't
> worry so much about the domain name and start to address the needs of
> your target market.
>
> What do US web developers want? Find out what their top three needs
> are and show them -- clearly -- what typo 3 does to address those needs.
>
> The way I see it, you have a PR 7 page, and a well known domain. Use
> it as a unfying force to bring together all of the local Typo3 sites
> (I love the flag idea, it is univerally accepted and easy for users to
> understand).
>
> With a bit of optimization, you could bring typo3.com up to the top 10
> of google, instead to the #20 position it currently holds.
>
> I also think you should narrow your targe market focus a bit. It seems
> clear to me that Mambo/Joomla have th small business sector sewn up,
> but that typo3 has a lot more appeal for the corporate web sites and
> intranet sites. Especially the intranet sites! What a huge market. My
> suggestion would be to get to know the corporate IT guys a little
> better. You could likely sew up that market and have tremendous
> possibliities for monetizing those relationships.

So, this last guy tends to agree with Ruv in the specific sense, however
in the general sense he agrees with all the other posters that the .com
needs to be the focus for the marketing push... and as a last hurrah I
want to say that if we pull this off right, the US market will be VERY
big. Bigger than everything we have seen so far.

Thanks all (especially Michelle!) for putting up with me and listening
to all this!

--gabe

--
I was made for lovin' you... --R'n'R Worship Circus