[TYPO3-UG US] Partner section and TYPO3.us

Reuven Cohen, Enomaly ruv at enomaly.com
Tue Oct 18 05:55:43 CEST 2005

> Daniel brings up a good point. Volunteering on this project or any other

> project for TYPO3 is what makes the community stronger and it's almost a

> necessity in an open source project. So let's find ways to reward the

> people that don't just give money, but also give their time on the

> TYPO3.us project. We could also make the amount of time donated be a

> factor in determining partnership levels. I think money and time should

> be thought of as the same thing and that way it would be not so

> bureaucratic but also build the community.

I'm completely in agreement with this sentiment, a community is about social
interaction, volunteering is the most critical component and definitely
should not be overlooked. One of the best things about TYPO3 is the
community of developers, contributors and enthusiasts that have formed
around this great product Kasper and friends have built and I applaud every
contributor, please don't ever thing I take TYPO3 or its users for granted,
because I surely do not.

>I am surprised that you write this after having been at TYCON3. I also
>trust

> the .com listing is actually helping your company.

In regards to Daniels comment, TYPO3.com is the best thing that's ever
happened to us. I'd pay 10x as much for that placement, I very much
appreciate the listing, please do not ever think otherwise. My comments
where meant to focus on the external marketing efforts, not the website.
TYPO3.com is a great example of organic marketing and the site has been a
smashing success in that sense. Where the marketing efforts have fallen
flat, "in my opinion" are in the places outside of search engines and
traditional open source information sources such as industry magazines and
trade publications. In order to effectively grow beyond our core user group,
we need some wider industry recognition, particularly in the enterprise
space.

In regards to Dimitri's comments, I think you're missing the point in the
statement that having a directory listing is useless. Your right, it
probably is. I think the value in marketing TYPO3 to the American market is
not from any particular listing or even any particular advertisement, but in
generating a greater awareness of TYPO3 as a whole.

The majority of customers we, Enomaly, attain don't contact us for TYPO3 and
to be completely honest a good portion contact us because they have heard of
Drupal or Mambo. We then typically convince them that TYPO3 is the better or
more appropriate system for their particular needs. Why are we forced to use
other more notable systems as marketing vehicles? I'd say because these
lesser but more known systems have been better at getting their particular
message out. This is what I think a marketing "budget" would do for this
association. Whether this is an official association web or whether we list
companies in a director is secondary. The only thing this adds if anything
is it gives a little incentive to potential members. Do I care if we get
listed or not, not really. As long as TYPO3 gets more interest at the end of
the day that's all that matters to me.

Reuven