[TYPO3-UG US] A new and proper Quickstart

virgil huston virgil.huston at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 23:09:37 CEST 2005

On 10/15/05, Dimitri Tarassenko <mitka at mitka.us> wrote:
> I think we all are in agreement that we need a new Quickstart package
> and documentation for newbies that uses this package as an example.
> I've been thinking to do something like this last year before 3.8.0
> was out, but it did not work out primarily because typo3.us was close
> to nonexistent back then and my broken English is not better than
> Kasper's ;). My primary concern back then was XHTML compliancy and CSS
> usage.
>
> Now that we have plenty of native speakers willing to participate, I
> would like to start this as another topic to discuss the following:
>
> - where does everybody place this project in terms of priority -
> should we maybe pay attention to something else first?
>
> - who would be interested in participating in this project, and how?

I would be willing to test it as a newbie. It took me two days to get
one of the Typo3 packages installed and the only one I could install
wasn't referenced in any of the tutorials. I would make a good test
case, I think. I am also a technical writer/instructional designer and
am willing to write/edit/proofread English documentation.

> - what would be a good sample "entity" to showcase? I think it should
> be American enough to not look "foreign", it preferrably should not
> contain any terms where US/Intl English differ (such as soccer vs.
> football question;), it should be neutral enough to not alienate
> anyone (in other words, it should be acceptable to show as a sample
> both to your local NRA and ACLU chapters, as well as your pastor,
> rabbi or the leader of your undercover Greenpeace cell;). It should
> not be too American to alienate our British, Australian, NZ and
> Canadian friends. Sports are actually great idea, maybe we should pick
> one.

How about rugby? It is minor in US, though.

> - Typo3 has gone a long way since QuickStart, so what are your
> thoughts on which extensions and capabilities need to be showcased?

Biggest thing for me is templates and figuring out extensions.

THanks,
Virgil Huston